technical help

Health & Safety

Electronic equipment and magnets

Strong magnets have on occasion been known to interfere with sensitive electronic equipment. It is therefore advisable to keep magnets at a safe distance away from sensitive equipment such as mobile phones, computers, televisions and credit cards.

Although smart phones and computers themselves contain magnets we believe it better to err on the side of caution if you are unsure of a magnets depth of field.

Placing strong magnets such as neodymium magnets on computer, television or other display screens can distort colours and cause irreparable damage.

Children’s toys and magnets (EN71)

Magnets can cause pinch injuries and should therefore be handled with extreme care and kept away from children. If ingested, medical attention must be sought immediately.

Our flexible magnetic material is complaint to the European Toy Safety Standard EN71-3:2013 + A1:2014

Pacemakers & Pregnancy

As a precaution, it is recommended that anyone with a pacemaker (or similar medical device), or within the first trimester of pregnancy should avoid handling magnets. If in any doubt, consult your medical practitioner first.

Shattering or Chipping of Magnets

Magnets such as neodymium magnets will shatter or chip if dropped or allowed to attract to one another over a large enough distance. This is due to the manufacturing process known as sintering when the constituent elements are compressed together.

Magnets that chip or shatter can cause injury due to cuts from newly exposed sharp edges or from flying fragments; we recommend using eye protection when handling powerful magnets.

Ingesting Magnets

Swallowing magnets is extremely hazardous, if two or more magnets are swallowed they can attract to each other through internal tissue or organs causing life-threatening injuries. Surgery will be required to extract swallowed magnets.

Handling Magnets

High-powered magnets such as neodymium magnets will attract each other at great force and speed, due care should be used when handling strong magnets to avoid fingers being caught between two or more magnets.

In addition, two or more magnets should not be placed around areas of tissue for example nose or ears as they will attract each other compressing the tissue trapped between the magnets, this can be extremely painful and the magnets can be very difficult to remove.

Allergic Reaction

Neodymium magnets are coated with nickel, which can cause an allergic reaction in some people following prolonged contact.

REACH compliance

REACH certificates are available upon request for the following products:

digifilm® ferrous media

supamag® magnetic sheet

supamag® magnetic tape